Migrating to our own bugzilla instance.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 10:37:57 UTC 2013

On 09/17/2013 09:44 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 08:24:58AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> I think it's time that we start putting some effort into both
>> discussing and migrating away from sharing bugzilla instance with
>> Red Hat.
> This is indeed a big question that has been in the air for some time without
> any real conclusion reached.
> Since you're speaking about, I assume you know about:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Fedora_bug_tracker

No I was unaware of that but skimming over it this "cannot clone bugs
over to rhel packages/products easily." is irrelevant point in that
discussion + which instance it should be should be decide in good
collaboration with the QA community since we are arguably the largest
userbase of it.

> If you have any inputs/ideas feel free to share them, we have already discussed
> more than once about it but so far the disadvantages and work implied have
> out-weight the advantages.
>
> One of the big point being the definition of who is "we" in your sentence.

The project/community in whole but as I have mentioned to Kevin atleast
on one occasion if it boils down to it I will personally put my free
time in running and administrative that instance since my frustration
level with RH bugzilla has grown to an all time high due to frequent
collision with internal RH administrative policy's that nobody in the
community knows exactly which are,frequent RH employement mistakes in
bug handling between Fedora and RHEL as well as several other issue we
are faced with it in the QA community and the hindrance it serves to the
growth to our community and the fact we cant hack in it directly to make
ours as well as other processes work smoothly which makes everybody's
life easier.

>> For the first should we migrate all issues from the RH bugzilla to
>> keep history or should we simply declare a flag day and from that
>> point on everybody will be using the new bug tracker
>>
>> Secondly do people have any option on which bug tracker we should
>> migrate to as in should we stick to mozilla's bugzilla or should we
>> use something else?
> You do realize that here you're speaking about migration w/o knowing to what
> will be the migration? Seems like the reverse order to me.

Not really we can reach the decision based upon if we would like to
migrate "older" bugs to keep history  or if we would skip that step and
choose to use a fresh deployment and simply use the RH bugzilla
instance  strictly for historic lookup in bugs purpose for EOL releases.

JBG