GitLab packaging progress and discussion about deployment on fedorahosted

Axilleas Pipinellis axilleaspi at ymail.com
Thu Sep 19 19:09:36 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 12:14 AM, Axilleas Pipinellis wrote:
> On 09/09/2013 08:54 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>
>> Cool.
>>
>> I see there is 'public' support, but all it is is a clone url and the
>> projects page (no commit info, etc). What was the current state of
>> 'public' patches to it?
>>

> Currently, the only public behavior is what you saw and in order to
> browse the code you have to have an account... So, 'public' is public
> for registered users only.
>
> As for what are their plans on making it public even for non-registered
> users, the issue was reported recently on their private gitlab instance
> (I happen to have an account there). This is something big communities
> want, such as Fedora or Debian where packaging efforts take place or
> Drupal where there has been an ongoing discussion to host their code on
> a gitlab instance [0].
>
> So for now we wait. If there is a change or any info regarding this,
> I'll let you know asap :)
>
> [0] https://groups.drupal.org/node/313158

Good news! It seems public repo access will be possible in next major
version 7.0, probably some time around Christmas :)

See
http://feedback.gitlab.com/forums/176466-general/suggestions/3159951-allow-public-repositories

Seems the "pressure" from big open source organizations worked :)

--
FAS : axilleas
GPG : 0xABF99BE5