Migrating to our own bugzilla instance.

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Sep 23 23:05:11 UTC 2013

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:36:51 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/20/2013 07:19 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > I really dont see any compelling reasons to move
> > off of Red Hats bugzilla today.
>
> After bit of discussion there is a compelling reason to move entirely
> away from Red Hat bugzilla as well as away from hosting our own and
> probably is the correct way forward for us.

"us" ?

> 1. Generic attitude of many maintainers is that either they go to the
> correct place ( upstream ) or they get their bugzilla ignored.

citation needed. There are surely components where this is the case,
but many others where it's not.

Personally, I help/answer bugzilla bugs, when/if they become clearly a
upstream issue I ask the reporter if they would like to file it
upstream or would like me to.

> 2. More often than not downstream maintainer as in packager does not
> know the code at all so filling the bug downstream makes no sense.

It does in many cases.

* It's a packaging bug.

* It's a request for a version update or something like that.

* It's something related to interaction between packages.

* It's something that is already fixed upstream and the Fedora package
  simply needs to add the patch.

etc etc.