Diagnosing Ask Fedora sluggishness

Anshu Prateek anshprat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 04:40:24 UTC 2013

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/4013#comment:2

Default setup - 21 requests, 657kb, 1.04 s,
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/3R3vS/http://fedora.hackalyst.info/questions/

Optimized setup - 15 requestsm 253kb, 708 ms ,
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/eNP7yA/http://fedora.hackalyst.info/questions/

Both from NYC

(This is the latest askbot 0.7.49 install)

Changes made :

Added another domain for static resources . This reduces queue blocking.
Enabled js/css cache and minimization in django, this reduces number of
resource calls and their sizes.
Enabled gzip in apache. gzip in django is very restrictive and doesn't
serve our purpose here.

Askbot / django changes are all in settings.py only.

To Do:

Figure out way to split js, css and images to various domains. This will
improve speed further by cutting down wait time by half.

regards
Anshu Prateek