Ideas for getting involved in FI-Apprentice projects

Amitakhya Phukan aphukan at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 27 02:33:12 UTC 2014

Hi Tristan,

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Tristan Santore <
tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net> wrote:

>  On 26/04/14 21:57, Amitakhya Phukan wrote:
>
>   Hi group,
>
>  Over a period of time, I have been thinking of how to get more involved
> in FI-Apprentice and with FI. It seems that my skills fall short even on
> the easy tickets. :) Maybe I am the only person who doesn't know these
> technologies. I have no idea of Puppet/Ansible or anything that is so much
> discussed around.
>
>  I had a very brief discussion with Kevin some time ago and I had this
> idea that perhaps we could have a few servers where in we can "learn" a few
> of the technologies that are bring used by Fedora and then feel more
> comfortable to contribute.
>
> At that time, I brought out the topic of maybe we can rent a few servers
> from Digital Ocean/GoDaddy etc. Turns out they are quite heavy on my
> budget. :)
>
>  Is it possible for Fedora to let a few servers dedicated for training ?
> Moreover, is there some one like me who would like to join me learn so that
> the contributions to FA/FI-Apprentice group could be more satisfactory ?
>
>  Please guide and sincere apologies to any and all who think this mail
> fall in "junk". It is never my intention to disturb you.
>
> Best regards,
> Amitakhya Phukan

>  You can run puppet and ansible on a local machine without problems! there
> is no need for a server!
>
> Just install it, run it, set it up, start configuring and developing for
> your CMS.

Puppet is one example of the many things that I want to learn. But yes,
that is the first thing I would like to learn. If I need to install, run,
configure Puppet/Ansible on my local machine, where do I test it?

> Further, I see security issues in allowing anyone to do whatever on FI
> machines. There are development units for actual testing, but still. The
> less access the merrier.

Agreed. That is why I wanted to know if "dedicated" training servers is a
possibility. Or maybe, I can try to get involved in building one for
starters ? Is that possible ?

> Regards,
> Tristan
>
> --
>
> Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
> TS4523-RIPE
> Network and Infrastructure Operations
> InterNexusConnect
> Mobile +44-78-55069812Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net
>
> Former Thawte Notary
> (Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
> and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)
>
> For Fedora related issues, please email me at:TSantore at fedoraproject.org

Best regards,
Amitakhya Phukan