Ideas for getting involved in FI-Apprentice projects

Aditya Patawari adimania at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 15:30:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> Yeah, so one nice advantage of our infastructure being 100% open source
> is that you can (and should) be able to install and test and play with
> it anywhere. :)
>
> For puppet/ansible type things, if you have even a single
> fedora/rhel/centos machine you should be able to have ansible or puppet
> manage it locally. You don't need more than 1 machine to start out
> with.
>
> The biggest issue we have with on-ramping new folks (IMHO) is that most
> of us 'full timers' don't have time to do a lot of one on one
> mentoring, so instead we try and have new people ask questions of
> everyone and try and do as much as possible themselves to get going.
> This means people who need more help or people who aren't very self
> starter tend to have a harder time getting involved.
>
> I've been thinking of ways to improve things. I'm not sure test
> instances would really be that much help, as it should be easy to use
> any machine to play around with things.
>
> Two ideas:
>
> 1. At our weekly meeting each week, we block off 15min and do a
> quick/short session where we talk about a particular application or
> tool and explain how it works, where docs are and what we want to
> do/need help with on it.
>
> or, if thats too quick/not enough use:
I am not sure how much would I be able to grasp in 15 minutes. It
seems like a very short span of time to me.

> 2. Setup bi-weekly/monthly classroom sessions. Longer sessions, but the
> same idea of going over a tool/app/thing we want to get help on/bring
> people up to speed on. Or even a workshop/"office hours" where we go
> over specific easyfix tickets or the like.
What if the puppet session happened yesterday and I happened to get
into FI today.

> Thoughts?
How about videos recorded in the office by people who have awesome
experience on certain tools/apps?. Personally I would love that.
We can still have workshops but they could be more hands-on and
focused to get things done (FAD?)