[Fedora] Plan Stage 0: Move to Zanata

Dimitris Glezos glezos at transifex.com
Tue Aug 19 09:32:56 UTC 2014

Noriko, all,

I want to bring this issue up once again. I am quite worried for a
number of things in this migration project:

- The migration project is not approached in a technical way and the
  preparation is all but thorough.  Most specifically, we have not evaluated
  Pootle, which is by far the most popular and well maintained open-source
  L10n platform. We have not reached out to their team to see if they're
  willing to help us with the move.
- We have not compared Zanata with Transifex on a feature-by-feature basis to
  see if there are key features missing and ask whether the Zanata team wants
  to implement them.
- We haven't done any research on what this will cost to Fedora. How is this
  going to affect our developers and translators? What are the success
  metrics?
- We have not really talked to our developers maintaining their software on
  Transifex today to get their feedback on the move. Unless they move
  everything over, and change their integration scripts, this migration will
  fail.
- At which point we'll decide whether to go forward or not?  Finally, we
  haven't even met together as an L10n group with Infrastructure for an IRC
  meeting before going forward.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos