Sync github projects on fedorahosted

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Thu Feb 20 11:33:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

For about a year now we have a bunch of project on github. With it, we benefit
from its UI and easy access for new contributors.
But github is proprietary so not so in line with our spirit.
Although git is decentralized I think we should keep a clone of our projects on
fedorahosted, just for the shake of saying, our infra does not depend on github
and if github goes down tomorrow, one can still access the sources.

With that I mind, I created the ticket #4212 [1], the idea is to run a cron job
that would clone/pull all the projects under the fedora-infra group of github.

Souradeep has worked on it and we have a first cron that we can run and that
will update or clone all repos from github.

However, currently it clones the repo w/o using --mirror, so the repo cloned are
not bare repo. Meaning if we place them under /srv/git they will seat next to
the bare repo we create (for example there would be a /srv/git/fedocal (clone
from github) and a /srv/git/fedocal.git (canonical git repo)).
They migth support git clone ssh://... but I have no idea how cgit would handle
them.

I see two solutions:
* we use the current script:
  - place them in /srv/git/ or somewhere else?
  - see to place them somewhere where someone can clone them
  - see how cgit handles them
* adjust the script
  - if the repo does not exists: git clone --mirrot
  - else:
    - check remote
      - if not github in remotes: add new remote github
    - update the clone: git update remote

Do you have another idea/suggestion?

Thanks,
Pierre