fedoraproject.org SIP service?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Sat Jan 18 13:35:21 UTC 2014

On 18/01/14 01:06, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 14:23:43 +0100,
>   Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> of use and I would be happy to help the Fedora community benefit from
>> this.  Ideally, we would have a situation where sip:user at debian.org can
>> call sip:user at fedoraproject.org and vice versa.
>
> We had a similar system in the past but it was shut down because of
> low use.
> I used the conference call ability a few times for remote
> participation in FADs.

Some things have changed:

a) Microsoft is gradually trying to get Lync into organisations, they
also have Skype.  Free software needs to provide a compelling
alternative and we need to start by drinking our own brew (and that
means running SIP and XMPP for ourselves).

b) WebRTC - this is just a massive area.  Every browser upgraded this
year will be a potential client for SIP and XMPP.

c) NAT traversal: this has improved a lot with the ICE and TURN
protocols.  People using modern softphones that support these things
will have far less frustration than with the first round of free VoIP
clients

We just announced the Debian.org SIP service today:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/01/msg00004.html