Ask Fedora: Do we need to add a "solved" tag to answered questions to increase visibility in search engines

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 24 15:25:54 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 02:17:00PM +1100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> - Add "Please do not add the [Solved] keyword to your question
> summaries. If you received an answer that solved the issue, please mark
> the answer as correct and reward the helper with karma." to the user
> guidelines.

Coming from Stack Exchange, this is my knee-jerk reaction as The Right Way.

Stack Exchange has built up a culture of being a question and answer site
rather than a help forum. We haven't been so successful in Ask Fedora. As
I've said before, I blame the software, not the people (and that includes
not blaming the askbot authors -- it's just a really hard act to follow and
SE is constantly improving and tweaking to get the experience just right).

So, Ask Fedora has come out to be a sort of hybrid, and seems to tend to
work a little more like a traditional help forum than Stack Exchange does.
Maybe that's okay, and the answer is to relax a little and embrace it --
which putting [solved] in the titles would certainly be.

If we want to do this, though, I'd *really* suggest making it happen
automatically when an answer is accepted, because a policy of manual edits
will be inconsistent and ugly. And I *really* think we shouldn't abuse tags
in this way.