Ask Fedora: Do we need to add a "solved" tag to answered questions to increase visibility in search engines

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 24 15:35:59 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 10:53 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Ankur Sinha  wrote:
>> - Add "Please do not add the [Solved] keyword to your question
>> summaries. If you received an answer that solved the issue, please
>> mark the answer as correct and reward the helper with karma." to
>> the user guidelines.
>
> I think this is the right approach
>
>> Now, the addition of the term "solved" somewhere in the question
>> does help in a way: it helps improve search results, say
>> google/bing/whatever (This is based on my basic understanding of
>> SEO etc, please correct me if I'm mistaken).
>
> Not sure that is true.  If one searches within Ask Fedora, ideally
> the search order should bring up questions with correct answer marked
> first, followed by answers order by higher karma score.  That way
> good answers come up first within Ask Fedora.  I don't think that
> changes how search engines orders the results however

as it is now, as far as "guidelines" go, i wonder, why bother with
adding another guideline that is not going to be followed.

as for using "[solved]", why even change from it. it shows exactly
what word means.

problem is not with use of "[solved]", problem is getting posters
to use it.

some will/may/might/have continued a thread with "[solved]" still
in "Subject:" when they are writing about something worked until
they rebooted or reopen a file.

it is another version of old adage of,

    "rules where made to be broken"

to,

    "guidelines are seldom add-heard to"

in other words;

    "it is human nature for people to tend to bend rules.
     it is linux nature for users to ignore them."

just my opinion on observations.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.