Ask Fedora: Do we need to add a "solved" tag to answered questions to increase visibility in search engines

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 24 18:54:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:17:00 +1100
Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> Here's the first proposal:
>
> - Add "Please do not add the [Solved] keyword to your question
> summaries. If you received an answer that solved the issue, please
> mark the answer as correct and reward the helper with karma." to the
> user guidelines.

+1 I think this is right... we shouldn't put solved in the question.

> Now, the addition of the term "solved" somewhere in the question does
> help in a way: it helps improve search results, say
> google/bing/whatever (This is based on my basic understanding of SEO
> etc, please correct me if I'm mistaken). So, an additional proposal:
>
> - Mods add a "solved" tag to questions that they feel are properly
> answered, and the answer was accepted, just to ensure that search
> engines associate the term with the question.
>
> This will ensure that the second case mentioned earlier doesn't occur
> and improve search results too.

I'm not sure this is worth bothering with.

> google search -> "site:ask.fedoraproject.org create desktop shortcuts
> solved"

People won't know to add 'solved' there, and google should give them
the answer thats most linked to (in general).

So, I'd say -1 on adding solved to questions.

> Now, I do see that stack exchange doesn't do this sort of thing at
> all, so proposal 2 might not be required at all.
>
> Also, since we're now using instances for languages, shouldn't we
> have a set of guildelines for moderators, if we don't already? To
> ensure that everyone follows the same system etc.? I still need to
> talk to the Spanish mods about the use of the "user group"

I saw that they are translating:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ask_fedora_guidelines/id
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ask_fedora_guidelines/es

Isn't that page the guidelines?

> functionality. Should I ask them to join the infra ML, or is there a
> simpler way of speaking to all mods? Considering that we do all our
> discussion here, maybe they should be required to join the infra
> list? I think a separate ML for mods would be overkill.
>
> Comments?

I'm fine with ask admin things going to this list... if the volume gets
high we can form another list or come up with some other solution.

Or we could try and use 'meta' on the site itself, but not sure that
gets everyone as invloved as they would need to be.