Porting bodhi to ansible

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 22:07:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 08:44:32PM +0100, Janez Nemanič wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on ticket
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/4193. So far I have
> managed to port just the puppet's basic bodhi class. I think that should be
> basic role for bodhi in ansible. Now I am a little uncertain what to do
> next. I am not sure how many other roles should create in ansible. The most
> simple solution would be to have the following roles:
> - bodhi_base
> - bodhi_app
> - bodhi_app_masher
> - bodhi_proxy
> - bodhi_app_epelmasher
> - bodhi_app_masher_jobrunner
> This is just mapping of puppet's bodhi classes to ansible roles. What I am
> asking myself is do I really need that many roles? Is it possible to do the
> job with fewer roles?
> Could other infra team members share their thoughts with me and help me a
> little bit?

I think its okay.  However, I've recently learned that roles can be
nested though, which might help with sprawl in our ansible/roles/
directory.

You can, for instance, have:

    ansible/roles/bodhi/base
    ansible/roles/bodhi/app/wsgi
    ansible/roles/bodhi/app/masher

etc..

I plan to at some point namespace the badges and notifs roles like so:

    ansible/roles/badges/frontend
    ansible/roles/badges/backend
    ansible/roles/notifs/frontend
    ansible/roles/notifs/backend

Cheers, and thanks for looking into the bodhi port!
-Ralph