Transifex has become proprietary

Marco Grigull mgrigull at redhat.com
Sun Jul 6 22:22:55 UTC 2014

On 05/07/14 02:53, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 10:11:45 +0200 Pierre-Yves Chibon
> <pingou at pingoured.fr> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 10:25:41AM -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Pierre-Yves ChibonA  wrote:
>>>
>>> What are they?
>>>
>>> I haven't spent a lot of time looking up alternatives but I am
>>> aware of the following:
>>>
>>> http://zanata.org/ developed by Red Hat
>>>
>>> Translatewiki which is apparently what MediaGoblin is
>>> considering
>>>
>>> https://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/913
>>
>> For the record, I support the move away from Transifex and will
>> relay the sad news to the projects where I have before advice for
>> it.
>>
>> The question is of course moving to what? That's something I
>> cannot advice on atm.
>
> Yeah. There's also some more mentioned in the above mediagoblin
> ticket.
>
> Would someone care to look at them all and provide some summary
> about each and how well they might work for our needs?

I have supported some Zanata instances in the past, I don't much
experience with using the tool itself.  IIRC it was designed to handle
the same sort of workload and file types as transifex.

We have run it on jboss with data stored in a mysql backend, though
some data also persists on disk these days.

Upgrades between releases are generally fairly smooth, with liquibase
handling schema changes.  Once in a blue moon the db permissions need
to be elevated for liquibase to complete its tasks.  When major shcema
upgrades occur sometimes the translation indexs need to be rebuilt;
this can be done once the platform is up again and can be kicked off
and monitored from an admin account via the web UI.

The Zanata development team have been great to work with, based in the
APAC region.

I hope this helps,
Marco

translate.zanata.org
translate.jboss.org

- --
Marco Grigull, Systems Administrator, Systems Engineering
85 88229 / +61 7 3514 8229