Transifex has become proprietary

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jul 15 16:42:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:23:00 +1000
Noriko Mizumoto <noriko at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> (2014年07月12日 03:20), Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:48:42 +1000
> > Noriko Mizumoto <noriko at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > ...snip...
> >
> >> Btw, unless Infrastructure team needs to track this discussion for
> >> some maintenance reason, can we discuss at trans list only as many
> >> of translators have not subscribed infrastructure list?
> >
> > Thats fine with me for the most part, but one final question here:
>
> Kevin, no need to be final question, rather I like to hear any
> concern of Infra.

Sure. I meant one more that I can think of right now. ;)

> I just do not wish to let any discussion go on and decision to be
> made for this issue at Infra at lists without majority of translators.

Absolutely. You are the folks using it.

> >  From the discussion it looks like moving to zanata is coming out
> > as the best plan moving forward?
>
> Some packages have already used zanata, as well some fedora books
> authors (docs team) have also used zanata. Therefore many of
> translators are familiar with zanata than any other tool. I see a
> number of people supporting zanata in this list as well trans at
> lists. I will make sure that translators do reach the consensus on
> this.

Sounds good.

> > If so, is that moving to an existing zanata instance that is being
> > run for us? Or is that talking about fedora infrastructure creating
> > such an instance?
>
> I've added this item in the list [1], and will keep you in the loop.

ok.

> > I'm fine with us moving to a hosted instance if translators and
> > websites folks all agree that is the best way forward, but I am not
> > really comfortable running our own instance.
>
> Let me ask a few things here.
> Should we include websites team for discussion?

Yes, it would be good to pull in them... it will mean some change in
their processes.

> You are saying 'not comfortable', does that mean not enough resource
> on Infra team?

Yeah, just off the top of my head:

* We have 0 people with jboss experence
* We have not planned any hardware for this, so we don't have anything
  ready this fiscal year for something like this.
* Our normal requirements have anything we deploy be packaged for
  Fedora/EPEL, this could take a while if there's not already
  packaging for Zanata.