Atomic status

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Jul 18 13:40:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

I feel like things aren't moving forward quickly enough with Atomic,
both on the Docker base image side and the rpm-ostree host side.  A lot
of that is to be expected - we're trying to introduce *two* new ways to
deliver software beyond RPMs at the same time.  It's quite nontrivial.

There's also:
1) We're trying to do new projects, but we haven't added significant
human resources
2) This is also the first Fedora.next release
3) We don't know how popular the whole Atomic/Docker model will be until
we do a stable release really, but it's hard to get current
Infrastructure people to spend time on it without knowing how valuable
it is...

Let's look at blocking issues for Atomic in Fedora:

- Having rpm-ostree be run as part of nightly compose
- Content mirroring
  * Server with SSL, some level of redundancy
  * Open question around how often/when composes are done, and how much
  history is retained
- GPG signing
- Method of having Koji/ImageFactory pull mirrored OSTree repository
content to compose ISOs
- MirrorManager integration (no code written on ostree side yet)

To the best of my knowledge, code exists for all of the above except the
last, and the last bit is hard to write without having a deployment of
MirrorManager using it, which depends

I see two solution paths:

- Double down and fix the above, continue trying to sync Atomic with
Fedora
  * Have more time from current Infra people on above
  * Have me/other members of my team join infra
  * Mix of both?
- Have Atomic be a Remix, partially in infra, partially outside
  - Have custom GPG key
  - Continue doing composes on the atomic01.qa.fedoraproject.org machine
  - Mirror to something like Amazon CloudFront (would require external
  sponsorship from Red Hat)

Would more regular meetings help?