ask fedora -- closing questions because they're answered?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 16:40:24 UTC 2014

On 20 July 2014 09:55, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I'm asking this here for lack of a "meta" site for Ask Fedora. :)
>
> I recently came across this:
>

> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/50626/when-will-dnf-fully-be-ported-to-fedora/
>
> I'm a bit perplexed by the close reason -- "the question is answered, right
> answer was accepted". Whatever the reason, this shows up in the list of
> questions with [closed] by the title (in addition to the green checkmark
> indicating that an answer was accepted).
>
> Why would we want to do this? Isn't the point to build up a body of
> questions and answers?
>
> I think closing should be reserved for _problematic_ questions -- off
> topic,
> spam, argumentative, etc. But maybe I'm not getting something here. Does
> closing questions for being successful have a benefit I'm missing?

I am not part of ask but having looked at stackexchange etc there are
multiple reasons to close it.

1) People prefer to look for things which are listed as answered.
2) The answer given to the question is correct. dnf is usable now and will
be mainstream in F22.

For me the main problem is layout wise because the closed statement is so
large it looks more like a moderation statement of don't ask these sorts of
questions and the answer has to be scrolled down to which some people might
not do.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.