ask fedora -- closing questions because they're answered?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 21 13:53:28 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 01:25:17PM -0600, Pete Travis wrote:
> I didn't like this at first, either.  There's always room for
> improvement, elaboration, follow up questions, etc.  Howver, it *really*
> bothers me to see a good answer followed up by a not-so-good or
> blatantly incorrect answer, or sometimes people will even simply
> paraphrase an existing answer for the sake of participation.

The good answer should be sorted first, hopefully.

And, while I agree with what you're saying, there's also the possibility
that an even better answer legitimately comes along later.

> So, I don't think this should be categorically applied to all questions
> with a correct answer, but it does have some merit.  There are many
> questions - like Ankur's one about rpmfusion codecs - where it is best
> to maintain one comprehensive, correct answer and discourage drive-by
> solutions that are incorrect or just not as good.

Yeah.... with Stack Exchange, there is the option to "protect" a question,
so that it can only be answered by people with a certain (low, but still)
reputation threshold. That prevents the drive-bys without locking out real
improvements.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>