L10n fedmsg integration?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 19:14:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:12:54PM +1000, Sean Flanigan wrote:
> On 2014-07-24 03:02, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, I looked into it with Transifex.  They provide a
> >> pubsubhubbub-like interface which would let us bridge nicely.
> >> This is exactly how we currently interface with GitHub:
> >> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/GitHub2fedmsg
> >> Whenever an event would occur in GitHub or Transifex, they would send
> >> an http POST to a listening web service on our side.  Our web service
> >> would then re-broadcast that event as a fedmsg event.
> >>
> >> The problem with Transifex, though, is that they do not
> >> cryptographically sign their POSTs, which opens us up to.. anybody.
> >> (GitHub actually signs each POST so we know its coming from them).
> >>
> >> I haven't looked at Zanata yet, though.
> >
> > ISTM we have an untapped stream of contributions we could recognize if
> > the translation system (whichever it is) would sign those POSTs.  I'm
> > not sure whether glezos is on this list, but I'll ask him whether this
> > is an interesting RFE, and do the same for Zanata.
>
> Zanata doesn't integrate with any buses yet, but a concrete use case
> will help, so please feel free to submit an RFE.
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Zanata

One use case would be for rewarding Fedora translation contributors
with badges via the Fedora Badges app[1].  Having translation
submissions trigger a message on the fedmsg bus allows the Badges app
to record and award those.  Our experience has shown community members
like receiving these badges and exhibiting them for the
accomplishments and contributions they represent.

Ralph, would you be willing to file the RFE with details on signing
the POSTs to prevent abuse?

= = =
[1] http://badges.fedoraproject.org/