pkgdb2 post-mortem and strategy for future deployments

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Thu Jun 5 05:40:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 05:27:44PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> this is something koji does, though we to date have not broken api, we
> expect we will do when we start on koji-2.0  so each app would provide
> a getAPIVersion() function, then the consumers validate that they know
> how to talk to that API version.
>
> for bodhi for instance apps could check for api version if it fails
> assume version 1 and then be able to support both version 1 and 2, when
> we deploy live bodhi2 the clients like fedpkg update will transparently
> switch over.

After the call for testers in November that was one of the feedback I received
on the API, so it is there: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/api/version
Note that this is the API version which may be different from the Pkgdb2
version. With the decoupling of API and UI, I keep two different version number
and as long as the first number is the same, the API is backward compatible :)

And I have been using it just yesterday for pkgdb-cli to use a new API method or
fall back on the old one according to the version of the pkgdb API:
https://github.com/fedora-infra/packagedb-cli/commit/af10afd22a5f4370285ee84423c2ac5b8d283ccd

Pierre