Help with implementation of file uploads and thumbnail generation

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 08:39:58 UTC 2014

On 06/06/2014 04:41 AM, Hammad Haleem wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was developing a Web API for Uploading and managing content. For the
> Feodra College Project. The API would allow basic stuff like Uploading
> Deleting and Uploading revisions of Content. Content can be either of
> following types namely Documents( PDF / DOC etc ), Images, Videos and
> Audio recordings.
>
> The problem I am facing here is with generating thumbnail images for
> these content types. Mainly for the Video and Document types.  Can
> someone guide me on how this can be done? Or any previous efforts by
> anyone.

Hi,
I used this snipped in my python project were I needed the same thing:

from PIL import Image
from PIL.ExifTags import TAGS

def resize_image(path, name):
     size = 200, 200

     infile = os.path.join(path, name)
     outfile = os.path.join(path, "thumb_" + name)
     print outfile
     if infile != outfile:
         try:
             im = Image.open(infile)
             im.thumbnail(size, Image.ANTIALIAS)
             im.save(outfile, "JPEG")
         except IOError, ex:
             print "cannot create thumbnail for '{0}':
{1}".format(infile, ex)

def handle_uploaded_file(f):
     with open(os.path.join(settings.MEDIA_ROOT, f.name), 'wb+') as
destination:
         for chunk in f.chunks():
             destination.write(chunk)
         destination.close()
         resize_image(settings.MEDIA_ROOT, f.name)

It uses the python PIL module, which you should check out, it's pretty
easy to use. No sure if it works for the video.

--Jirka