Meeting Agenda Item: Introduction Phillip T. George

Phillip T. George me+fedora at phillipgeorge.com
Fri Jun 20 11:27:48 UTC 2014

Hey everybody.  I'm looking to join the Fedora project to give something
back to the community.  I've been a Linux user for quite awhile, and
Linux has been a big part of a career.

Previous to my current role I was a Linux sysadmin/engineer for a couple
of years.  My client's environment is made up RHEL (75%), Solaris (<5%),
and Windows (~20%).  The total server count is around 5-6K -- that does
include some virtuals, but it is primarily physicals.  I definitely work
for a large corporation, but I'm not here to represent them in any way
at this point in time.  I have been using Linux distros for nearly 20
years (probably since around 1997).

My current role involves automation of existing processes and tools.
Its a lot of trying to introduce people to common scripting practices as
well as making systems communicate that previously did not (often
through an orchestration engine).

I have a lot of skills/knowledge/experiences, some significant, some not
so much.
Programming/scripting: PHP (w/ MySQL), JS, HTML, CSS, jQuery (mostly for
UI), bash, C/C++, Java, Objective C, Perl
OSes: Fedora, RHEL, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat (pre-enterprise),
Windows (server 2008, server 2003, 8, 7, XP, and older OSes)

Projects:
1. Fedora customized build for Linux sysadmins/engineers at work (now
its a retrofit script)
2. PHP-based front-end for a change management tool -- uses an
orchestration engine to do the work, though all of the orchestration
steps had to be created (SOAP based in this case, though there were some
pre-fabricated operations that helped with this a bit)
3. PHP-based server build/configuration tool -- just for Linux but
planning on using it for other OSes eventually.  Has multiple
levels/objects you can configure: Server, Profile (multiple), OS (w/
hierarchy), and Site/Location
4. PHP-based report/data customized viewer -- a perl script imports a
massive CSV to allow updating of the data without having to push around
CSV/spreadsheet files
5. iPhone note sharing app
6. Lots of miscellaneous partially finished projects -- mostly game
development projects

Unfortunately these projects are not open source, so I cannot share them
with you.  Though the iPhone note sharing app is not open source, I have
full rights to it, though I doubt anyone here is interested in that :)

Obviously I have many interests.  The best summary of my interests would
be: computer-based technology.  A more focused summary would be: Linux
and programming.

Today, I am interesting in doing some sysadmin/engineer and possibly web
development work.  Tomorrow (figuratively speaking), it may be more than
that.  I'm willing to provide up to 5 hours a week of my time.  As far
as what I would specifically like to work on -- I have no idea.  Right
now, I'm hear to listen, learn, and absorb. Eventually I'll find
something.  I will be browsing the open items to see if there is indeed
something I can try to solution, though not yet knowing much details of
the infrastructure makes that somewhat difficult.  A quick look at the
Trac tickets reveals that some cleanup of the tickets might be needed.
There are some items open since 2007, which implies they may no longer
be valid (unless there is a review process going on to ensure they are
indeed valid).

IRC: lanica

-Phillip