Reliability of Fedora infrastructure to download cloud images

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 17:52:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 09:57:39AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:25:17 +0530
> Kashyap Chamarthy <kchamart at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not famillar with the terminology, what does a 'voting guest'
> > > mean?
> >
> > Sorry for being unclear. It means, any proposed OpenStack change/patch
> > has to be executed on a Fedora virtual machine too, only once it
> > passes the tests on Fedora, patches will be merged to upstream git. I
> > cc'd Attila, he can correct me if I said something wrong.
>
> Ah, interesting. Cool.

That said, currently due to hardware resourcing/allocation of VM issues
constraints Fedora jobs are made "experimental" (meaning, someone has to
add an explicit "check experimental" comment in Gerrit to test on
Fedora). That said, we do have frequent testers on Fedora.

Good news is -- this is just temporary. Ian Wienand is steadfastly
working (thanks!) with OpenStack infrastructure to fix the various
distribution allocation issues in the infrastucture[1]. For the
technically curious, Ian explains the node allocation (in OpenStack CI
infra) in very clear detail here[2].

  [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/101110/
  [2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-infra/2014-June/001358.html

> > Looking at the script[1] that creates the CI VM, it uses this URL --
> > https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/20/Images/x86_64/Fedora-x86_64-20-20131211.1-sda.qcow2
> >
> >   [1]
> > https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/stackrc#L353
>
> Strange. Thats going against our master mirrors. They shouldn't have
> any downtime or problems.
>
> I would be very interested in any error output from when these
> downloads fail.

Ian informed this was an issue from infrastructure hosting providers to
upstream OpenStack. So, not an issue from Fedora's infra side.

> > > Are these the released cloud images? f19/20? Or nightlies or ?
> >
> > Released, official images.
>
> ok.
>
> > > How often do they download? Once a image is loaded, I am not sure
> > > why they would re-download it unless it's changed?
> >
> > I just confirmed, they (CI infra) download and cache it. But, once
> > every 24 hours, they rebuild the caches. It's the humans that
> > download it manually (without any caching environment) that face the
> > bottlenecks they say.
>
> ok. I'd love to hear what error(s) they see so we can clear them up.

Yes, I'm lurking on the IRC/mailing list, so if anyone brings up issues,
I'll notify here.

> > > Or unless they are
> > > grabbing nightly rawhide images?
> >
> > They won't prefer to do this as only distribution tested image will be
> > used used in OpenStack CI environment.
>
> Fair enough.

Thanks Kevin (and Matthew) for your quick responses, as usual.

--
/kashyap