Introduction - Ethan Hussong

Ethan Hussong ethan.hussong at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 02:18:11 UTC 2014

Hello all. I've been lurking in IRC and digging through some of the
publicly available Fedora pages for the last couple weeks in attempt to
familiarize myself with the group and the environment and thought that it
was the right time to introduce myself.

My name is Ethan Hussong and my IRC nick is "Xirrin". I'm in the Chicago
suburbs which puts me in the Central timezone in the US. I have recently
made a transition over the last few years into IT and have found myself
often excited about Linux and Open Source even though I am not a
programmer. I would say that my Linux skills are probably around an
RHCSA-level (I've been lightly pondering taking the test for the last
couple of weeks). Most of my IT experience has come in the form of beginner
level network and system administration on top of the help desk jobs that I
have worked that have included system performance monitoring and basic
remediation. I've attached a resume as well for the sake of helping folks
understand my background.

As I mentioned I have some simple network and systems administration
experience. I have experience building PCs as well as enterprise servers
and have a small test lab of my own at home. I would like to join the
Fedora Infrastructure group primarily because of my excitement for the
project. I have great respect for Red Hat as far as what it provides to the
world and the IT community as a whole (standards, leadership in Linux, a
face for Open Source, a great platform to share with both individuals as
well as companies, the list goes on...). Fedora plays a significant part in
the RHEL ecosystem and because of that, despite my meager credentials, I
would very much like to contribute to the cause.

My hope is that going forward I will be able to start small and grow within
the community. As my current job is working in a NOC it seems most
appropriate to start with system monitoring and trouble remediation tasks.
Additionally it seems as though there may be some opportunities to clean up
some of the Nagios configuration with tweaking some alert triggers as well
as making sure all of the infrastructure is actually monitored (based on
what I've seen from conversation the #fedora-noc channel). I would
eventually like to help with the Ansible work that is being done and hope
that I can eventually help with server deployment, configuration, and
decommissioning as my skills expand. Currently I have an interesting work
schedule that gives me a couple of hours of free time on one week and a
large amount of free time the next. My availability on a specific week is
irregular, but ranges between 5 and 25 hours depending on my schedule.

All that being said I am looking for a sponsor/mentor here within the FIG
and hope that someone may be willing to step up and guide me to my first
steps within the group. Thank you!

Ethan Hussong
<http://protocol.by/ehussong>