mailing list suggestion: all lists accept posts from subscribers to any list

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Mar 20 16:41:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014, Matthew Miller wrote:

> One of the frustrations of having multiple different lists is that we can't
> really easily cross-post, because if people reply but aren't subscribed to
> all lists, they get bounces, and the conversation ends up fragmented. Or the
> alternative, multi-posting (same post individually to multiple lists), but
> then you're _starting_ with fragmentation.

but if if one can post but are not subscribed to a side list
and the thread takes off there, a poster never sees it without
wallowing through the archive (a pull vs push method)

> I don't know enough of the mailman internals to know how this might be
> implemented, butit seems like it must be doable. And there might be some
> details to be worked out around removing people, and possible moderation.

> But what do you think of the general idea?

from memory there was formerly a 'wildcard to post' email
list back in RHL days

I am generally negative for the first listed reason.

If a thread is important enough to cross post, it is easy
enough for the poster thinking so to add a '-request' before
the '@', and subscribe for a bit before posting.  It is easy
enough to reverse the process once the thread burns out.  And
is just might be that that new list turns out to be worth
hanging around on, and cross-pollinating

Burden one person once rather than confuse many people a lot,
so to speak

-1 as indicated

-- Russ herrold