Ask Fedora being badgered by spam

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 29 14:29:17 UTC 2014

On Thu, 29 May 2014 06:11:36 -0400
Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> FWIW,  I have deleted well over a dozen accounts and hundred
> questions in the last few days and several new user accounts even
> after this mail was posted.  It is likely a single persistent spammer
> and perhaps scripted. Some serious measures are needed at this point
> since some of us constantly deleting users accounts and postings just
> isn't scalable.

Yeah, I have blocked a number of their accounts and deleted rafts of
posts too. ;(

> Possible options
>
> * Block by IP address

I looked at this a few days ago, and it didn't seem they were coming
from any IP in particular. :( I can look again tho.

> * Limit open id signs to just Fedora accounts

We could. How much outcry would this get from the people that use other
providers though? I think there's lots of people using google/etc...

When I looked at a few of this spammers accounts they seemed to all be
yahoo? I'd be perfectly fine blocking yahoo auth, but then they could
just use another one.

> * https://pypi.python.org/pypi/stopforumspam/
> * https://www.djangopackages.com/grids/g/anti-spam/

Would need packaging and testing...