Ask Fedora being badgered by spam

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:07:35 UTC 2014

On 30 May 2014 06:14, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/30/2014 06:23 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 15:22 +0530, Akshay Vyas wrote:
> >> I don't think captcha will work, these are not bots, these are
> >> the normal human who is intentional posting adds n all kinds of
> >> marketing material
> >
> > I'd expect them to be bots. A human wouldn't be able to post 50
> > questions in 3 minutes :/
> >

> No, but a human can do the signup and then point a bot at the site
> once the sign-up is complete. (Not saying this is what happened, just
> that it can)

Actually some places can do 50 questions in 3 minutes with humans. The
humans sit behind a proxy and use a shared users login. They do all the
captcha stuff for a bot to post the ad. In the end, you can only do so much
to stop this.  Captcha stuff works for the less sophisticated bots but
won't stop the forced labour spam operations.

I would say finding throttle software which allows one post per minute to
make it more expensive for them to post a lot. The goal is to make it
expensive enough that they will want to go somewhere else versus keep at it
here.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.