Code Search for Fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Nov 18 22:12:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 13:24:02 -0800
Michael Stapelberg <michael+fedora at stapelberg.ch> wrote:

> Thanks for your quick reply!

No problem. ;)

...snip...

> I’ve had very quick glance only so far, but the general idea sounds
> reasonable. I’m not sure who’d want to work with me on the project,
> but perhaps we can find someone who’s interested.

Yeah, we just want to make sure at least a few people know how to debug
and fix things. Then it's not all on one persons shoulders.

...snip...

> That’s a bummer. How many IOPS do your SAS disks provide? Is there any
> chance that you could get some SSDs in the near to mid term future?

I'd have to test them. ;)

It's possible, but not sure how possible. We are putting together
budgets for next year now, but not sure if we would be able to get
SSD's for this.

I'm not sure also how big things are. ie, all the unpacked package
sources. We could find out, but will take some investigation.

> > I think before we go looking into hardware requirements, we should
> > discuss the software? Whats it written in? Is there a bunch of
> > people who work on it? or just you?
> It’s written in Go, and mostly I’m working on it, with a few random
> contributions from other people from time to time.

We are very heavily a python shop here, I don't know if any of our
applications folks have really done much with go, but I'm sure they
will chime in if they have. ;)

> > We would want it packaged up as rpms for deployment, preferably for
> > epel7 (to work on rhel7 hosts).
> Yeah, I’ve heard about that, and it shouldn’t be a problem, I think. I
> assume the Go compiler is in EPEL7.

Yeah, I think so.

> > Would you be open to changes in code/architecture to meet our setup
> > better?
> Of course, yeah.

There would also be questions around processing the source... in debian
do you unpack all the source debs? or ?

Do you follow just some branches of packages? Or all of them?
Or just some arches?

Is this just upstream source? or the source + any local patches?

Lots of questions... hope I'm not asking too many dumb ones. ;)