Code Search for Fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Nov 19 22:29:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 23:58:33 -0800
Michael Stapelberg <michael+fedora at stapelberg.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 13:24:02 -0800
> > Michael Stapelberg <michael+fedora at stapelberg.ch> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for your quick reply!
> >
> > No problem. ;)
> >
> > ...snip...
> >
> >> I’ve had very quick glance only so far, but the general idea sounds
> >> reasonable. I’m not sure who’d want to work with me on the project,
> >> but perhaps we can find someone who’s interested.
> >
> > Yeah, we just want to make sure at least a few people know how to
> > debug and fix things. Then it's not all on one persons shoulders.
> >
> > ...snip...
> >
> >> That’s a bummer. How many IOPS do your SAS disks provide? Is there
> >> any chance that you could get some SSDs in the near to mid term
> >> future?
> >
> > I'd have to test them. ;)
> You could install fio(1) and run it with this config file:
>
> [global]
> bssplit=512/10:1k/5:2k/5:4k/60:8k/2:16k/4:32k/4:64k/10
> rw=randread
> direct=1
> blocksize=4k
> size=500m
> ioengine=libaio
> iodepth=1
> #write_bw_log
> #write_lat_log
> numjobs=1
>
> [sda]
> filename=/dev/xvdb
>
> Then, compare the results to http://p.nnev.de/4763 — if they are
> roughly comparable, that might work.

I can try... will see if I can find a host thats not in production
right now, don't want to cause problems. ;)

...snip...

> > There would also be questions around processing the source... in
> > debian do you unpack all the source debs? or ?
> In Debian we operate on all source packages of the main distribution’s
> unstable (“sid”) version.

ok.

> > Do you follow just some branches of packages? Or all of them?
> We only use sid, mostly because it was simple to implement Code Search
> with just a single corpus. I’ve been asked once whether I could also
> provide other suites, but that’s a project for the future, if at all
> necessary. The rationale so far is that we’re mostly interested in
> code that’s in the development version, because code that is _only_ in
> the older versions is likely obsolete in some way.

Fair enough.

> > Or just some arches?
> Since we’re talking about source packages, they are not
> architecture-specific at all :).

Well, one fun thing is that rpm srpms can be sorta. ;) Depending on
what arch they were generated on they could be different if there's
different arch sections to the spec.

> > Is this just upstream source? or the source + any local patches?
> We’re unpacking the upstream source and then applying the Debian diff
> so that we have the package indexed the same way our build daemons see
> them. So, yes, this includes applying local patches.

ok. Is there distinction between the upstream part and the patched
part? Or it's all just source to index at that point...

> > Lots of questions... hope I'm not asking too many dumb ones. ;)
> Perfectly reasonable questions so far :). I hope my reply makes things
> clearer, but don’t hesitate to ask if you have further questions.

Sure. thanks.