Code Search for Fedora

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 05:54:01 UTC 2014

On 11/19/2014 05:58 PM, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>>> It’s written in Go, and mostly I’m working on it, with a few random
>>> contributions from other people from time to time.
>>
>> We are very heavily a python shop here, I don't know if any of our
>> applications folks have really done much with go, but I'm sure they
>> will chime in if they have. ;)
> I see. Go is pretty easy to pick up, and the vast majority of people
> in my filter bubble who gave it a try found it pleasant to work with.

The various Python folks I know that have done work in Go have all
considered it a pleasant language for writing network services.

Another point worth noting is that because Go is precompiled (ala
C/C++), working with deployed systems written in it should be more like
working with the system components written in C/C++ than with the Python
web services.

There's also the fact that given Docker & Kubernetes are both written in
Go, it seems likely that it will eventually make in appearance somewhere
in Fedora's infrastructure, even independent of this proposal.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan