FAS3/MM2 FAD

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Fri Oct 10 06:21:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 03:20:06PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:39:50AM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 11:37:44AM +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > > TODO:
> > > * Confirm location and dates with Matt
> > > * Confirm location and dates with Toshio
> > >   -> I will email them
> >
> > Matt confirmed that he is planning on attending and will make his own travel
> > arrangements.
> >
> > Toshio isn't sure yet, should get back to me on this on Friday.
> >
> > If neither Toshio nor Xavier can make it, should we make the FAD a little
> > shorter and focused on MirrorManager2 only?
>
> This is a possibility.  It might also be possible to have a "Plan B"
> application if the right people are present.  Preferably this would be
> something on the Fedora.next critical path, so we get maximum value
> from the FAD event.

Potential plan B:
- hackfest on the ansible migration
- hackfest on the el7 migration
- hackfest on atomic's infrastructure?
- ?

> I wanted to raise two additional issues:
>
> (1) A budget is needed for this event very soon if the event will
> happen December 4-9.  It's less than two months away, and flight costs
> are likely to rise imminently.  The attendance roster and costs need
> to be finalized so the budget can be established and approved.

Unless we replace some people in the current budget with others (with different
travel costs), we have probably an "upper limit" budget, which could only go
down if less people come or if we make it shorter.

> (2) I'm not sure this timeframe will work well for Fedora release
> engineering.  There is a release scheduled for December 2, and whether
> there's any further slip in the F21 release schedule, travel around
> this event would raise unnecessary challenges with the release.  How
> vital is a rel-eng representative for MirrorManager hacking?

I had added Dennis to the list of potential attendee because he mentionned once
to me wanted to the involved in the design of how FAS3 generates the certs used
to upload to the dist-git.
But if the FAS part does not happen, then I don't think there is much interest
for him to be involved in the MirrorManager part.
Dennis comes back to the US on Dec 2nd, so technically he would be able to make
it but that would be up to him.

Pierre