[RFR #4562] Koschei - continuous integration in Koji

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Oct 15 19:31:57 UTC 2014

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:00:06 +0200
Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just opened a Request for Resource ticket (#4562) for Koschei
> and I would like it to eventually become an official Fedora service.

Great. I've added some pointers there to our request for resources
documents, but it looks like you already found them. ;)

> Please let me know what you think about my proposal.  I'm happy to
> answer any questions and provide more information.

ok, some general questions, please excuse me if they are dumb. ;)

high level:

* How well does it keep up currently? I know you are careful not to
  overload koji, but I wonder if that means things like perl builds are
  often behind because there are so many of them?

* right now the service is opt-in right? Someone adds a group and
  packages in that group and then when one of them changes it scratch
  rebuilds the rest. Do you see a time/case when we could just make it
  operate on all builds? that is, build foo is made, and it just does
  all the things that buildrequire foo?

* The notifications of failed builds currently are via fedmsg? We
  should investigate adding this to FMN if it's not already there, so
  anyone interested could be notified via that.

todo's/ideas:

* Could this ever be a koji plugin? Or does it do too much on top of
  that to ever be a plugin?

* Might it be possible to run on all the broken deps packages in
  rawhide/branched? This would depend I guess on the compose process
  generating fedmsgs with those package names, but if so it could tell
  maintainers "hey, your package is broken in rawhide, but a simple
  rebuild will fix it" (or any other group that just wants to go fix
  them).

* boost is another group of packages I could see this being useful for.
  Perhaps it would be worth reaching out to the boost maintainers?

* Could this be used to scratch build packages that are
  ExcludeArch/ExclusiveArch with that removed? ie, to tell maintainers,
  "hey, you exclude arm, but it builds ok, are you sure thats fine?"

technical:

* Can this application be load balanced any? Ie, if we have two of them
  could they operate against the same db at the same time?

* Are there any common sysadmin tasks we need to know about with the
  instance? Is there any special process to start/stop/reinstall it?

* When there is koji maint, should we stop this service? How do we
  gracefully do that and start it again?

Thats all I can think of right now. :)