rhel6 -> rhel7 migrations status

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 02:08:31 UTC 2014

http://rhelblog.redhat.com/2014/10/14/run-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6-applications-on-red-hat-enterprise-linux-7/
> > While moving the hosts forward, thus taking advantage of a more modern
> > kernel and userspace management tools.
>
> No, but containers could well be very handy for a number of things for
> us down the road. Just will take someone investigating and figuring out
> how we can use them.

I've recently taken a look at socket as part of working at ansible.  It
should definitely be possible to do this (and even to use ansible playbooks
to partially provision/configure the containers.  However you would need to
have someone updating the images periodically just like you presently need
to update the virtual machines you maintain.

It would probably be best to have the whole sysadmin team become somewhat
versed in docker usage (to the same extent as they're aware of virtual
machines at least).  There isn't a whole lot to learn for basic
proficiency, though, so this wouldn't take too long.  If you don't want to
train everyone, having a docker czar and a couple helpers would be enough
to actually do the work.

-Toshio