Pros and Cons for disk partitions.

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Sep 24 20:48:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:00:55 -0600
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to better document the reasons on why we set up systems
> the way we do in various places. One of the ones that I end up
> 'breaking' every now and then is putting in extra partitions on
> systems where our standard is to have just /. I come from a
> background where you really can't have enough disk partitions so I
> end up separating things like /var/log and /home out on boxes where
> there are many users. [Which then causes problems where we have
> assumed one partition]

I personally hate lots of partitions. I don't think it really helps
anything on modern systems and it means you have to fiddle more to see
what size works best for each type of mount.

In the long ago past I think people wanted some partitions to be ok
if / or something filled up, but really, if the single / isn't big
enough, we have disk, lets just make it bigger. ;)

Just all IMHO.