crowdsourcing an interview on git

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Apr 1 16:49:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:48:17 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone! Linux Foundation is running a series on Git for its 10th
> anniversary. They asked me a few questions, and I thought it might be
> even better to get a community answer from the whole infrastructure
> team. So, if you have anything interesting to say to any of these, say
> it, and I'll wrap up the responses into a unified Fedora Whole. I need
> to respond by Friday.
>
> * Why does Fedora use Git?

It's known by most all developer/free software types these days, it's
distributed and it's got a lot of docs and folks that can help with
issues.

> * What makes Git such a great tool?

For simple things/workflows it's pretty simple.

> * How many developers do you have collaborating on git?

I guess that depends on what the question means by "you" here. ;)

We have had 45 people commit at one time or another to our ansible
repo, and 163 to our old puppet repo.

There's 1633 people in the fedora packager group and 19857 package
repos. (But some of those are dead.packaged).

> * How much do you personally use it? (estimates are great)

Many times a day.

> * What's Fedora's most active git repo right now and why?

Thats hard to say, we don't have a central place for all of them...
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/?s=idle
I suspect kernel gets updates most days.
The infrastructure ansible repo gets updates most days.

> * What is your favorite pro tip for using git?

Always run 'git status' and 'git diff' before commiting/pushing. That
can show you that you have unrelated other changes you might not want
to push.