Bugzilla components of retired packages

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 20:29:27 UTC 2015

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:34:35 -0500
> Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
>
>> Can we get retired packages out of the active Bugzilla component list?
>
> If they are completely retired, yeah, this might be possible.
>
>> I just created a bug for a retired package and had to fix it...
>>
>> Bugzilla allows components to be disabled rather than deleted in case
>> the bugs need to be searched for or a package comes out of retirement.
>>
>> Unfortunately the only way I see to automate this process is the REST
>> API in 5.0.

FWIW I've requested the same 2+ years ago:

https://fedorahosted.org/packagedb/ticket/240

Currently tracked at:

https://github.com/fedora-infra/pkgdb2/issues/59

This is a particular pet peeve for me since 5-10 times a year we get bugs
incorrectly filed against the long dead 'kvm' component when reporters really
want qemu or kernel.

> We use python-bugzilla to interface with bugzilla.
>
> Specfically this script:
> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ansible.git/tree/roles/pkgdb2/files/pkgdb-sync-bugzilla
>
> So, we would need to enhance this script to handle the case of a
> package being retired in all branches in a product. Note that if they
> have any active branches we can't do this as at least the change I see
> via the interface is per component.
>
> Anyhow, if someone can see how to do this/provide patches sounds like a
> great idea. If we have to wait for 5.0, that would be good to know too.

One of the difficulties in someone else providing a patch for this is that
it's difficult to test unless you have admin bugzilla privileges.

The github issue above gives some simple psuedo code for how the
implementation should look. The python-bugzilla/bugzilla XMLRPC side is
correct AFAICT (I'm python-bugzilla maintainer and can help if there's any
issues).

But if someone from pkgdb side could give an example of how to query for fully
retired packages, that would help. Even if it's not part of pkgdb in the short
term, if there's a way to do that query now I'd be happy to send a request to
bugzilla admins to manually hide all the long retired components.

Thanks,
Cole