Infra docs formatting

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Apr 15 16:11:22 UTC 2015

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:00:42 -0600
Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm working on a project[0] to build a documentation website using
> buildbot.  We have plenty of publican books for me to play with, but
> I'd also like to enable other formats.  ReStructuredText[1] seems
> like a good first choice, as it's easy to learn and use (just squint
> and pretend it's markdown, if you aren't familiar), and there are
> processors for it at hand.
>
> Anerist is centered around consuming git repositories.  Ultimately,
> I'd like the site to offer the both user and contributor facing
> documentation.  I also need a repo full of RST content to bang out
> implementation details.  infra-docs.git seems ideally positioned to
> help out here, and any time invested would carry forward to the end
> product. Each article would need some kind of header[2] to work at
> scale, though.
>
> So, what does the infrastructure team think about writing in RST?  If
> I'm willing to convert everything over, are you willing to sustain it?

I think when we started infra-docs we just wanted simple...

I have no objection to standardizing them to use a common markup and
header. I'm not sure how much good they would do other people published
out to the world, as they are very specific in many cases to our
infrastructure, but perhaps someone would find them of use.

I could see a use if there was a way to say publish them as epub. Then
infra folks might be able to have them locally in smartphones or
tablets in case online wasn't practical for some outage or other
reason.