Upstream for dist-git [RFC]

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Fri Apr 17 15:18:53 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 09:42:44AM +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Hi,
> Adam Šamalík took dist-git files from fedora-infra ansible.git. He separated what belongs to dist-git itself and what is
> Fedora specific and with cooperation of Dan Mach and Palo Babinčák he created upstream for dist-git:
>
>   https://github.com/release-engineering/dist-git
>
> This is first attempt and request for comments.
>
> The changes from ansible.git version are described here:
>   https://github.com/release-engineering/dist-git/blob/master/changes.txt
> and he extracted some code to be configuration driven:
>   https://github.com/release-engineering/dist-git/blob/master/configs/dist-git/dist-git.conf
>
> Feel free to experiment with this project and we are looking for your questions and comments.
>

> I have one question thou:
> There is no license information in files header but two files:
>   scripts/httpd/upload.cgi - GPLv1

Unless I am mistaken, the file says just GPL without specifying a version, which
according to our wiki page [1] means:

GNU General Public License (no version)
A GPL or LGPL licensed package that lacks any statement of what version that
it's licensed under in the source code/program output/accompanying docs is
technically licensed under *any* version of the GPL or LGPL, not just the
version in whatever COPYING file they include.

So seems to me that this is not a problem :)

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main

I do have a few questions about the project itself though :)

- Any special reason to use tito? It seems the spec file generated isn't quite
  complete (cf the %description) and I have heard a couple of horror story about
  it so I am kinda curious to know what it brings.

- While I find having a single upstream place a great idea I wonder how this
  will do in practice. For example, I know Fedora has been wanted to move away
  from md5 into sha for a while. How will this work then for the other
  instances? Are RH and CentOS also going to make the move? At the same time as
  Fedora?
  Basically, I was wondering between sharing a RPM vs sharing an ansible
  playbook which one might be easier in the long term.

- Out of curiosity, would the dist-git systemd service conflict with the
  git-daemon one?

- The two cron files are empty is this desired?

- Finally, recently I was wondering about changing the upload.cgi which is a
  little bit painful to debug when something goes south by a simple one-file
  flask application that would do the same.
  Anyone has any thoughts on this idea?

Turned out I found more questions that I thought, hope you don't mind :)

Thanks,
Pierre