Draft for talk about statscache in Flock 2015

Ratnadeep Debnath rtnpro at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 27 19:16:14 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I want to propose a talk on our ongoing project: statscache[1] in
Flock 2015. I am sharing a draft of the proposal for your review:

Title
====
Statscache, a near realtime intelligent caching layer empowering
faster data representation

Summary
=======
Fedmsg and fedmsg based tools: datanommer, datagrepper, etc. have
indeed taken communication and coordination across various components
in the Fedora ecosystem to an all new level. Currently, we are using
the raw datagrepper APIs to render various widgets and data
visualization. However, due to the massive amount of data stored in
datagrepper backend, searches tend to be slower. Also, consuming the
raw datagrepper API leads to increased data payload over the network
and writing complex client side logic to format the data.

Statscache is an attempt to solve the above problems and also to
create a generic framework to empower powerful data visualization. It
achieves this by listening to fedmsg events and storing the
denormalized and clean data in desired format for faster retrieval. It
also aims to become an intelligent caching layer based on "Single
source of truth" model and publishing REST and websocket API around it
to enable faster and realtime data visualizations. This could become
the backbone for empowering various widgets in Fedora hub.

Topology diagram:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fedora-infra/statscache/develop/docs/diagrams/topology.txt

[1]: https://github.com/fedora-infra/statscache

Regards,