bodhi2 plans

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 22:17:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 11:03:38 -0600
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> So, in the releng meeting last week we discussed about landing bodhi2
> before the alpha freeze started, however there were just too many
> things still up in the air to do that, so we held off.
>
> However, I'd like to propose a concrete date to enable it and try and
> make sure we have everything we need lined up for making that
> work. :)
>
> My understanding of the current status:
> (Luke: please correct me if anything is wrong or unclear here)
>
> * We have bodhi2 web frontend up and running fine in staging:
> https://admin.stg.fedoraproject.org/updates/
> (well, right now it's down as Luke is working on a update id bug there
> and is repopulating the db, but it was and will be up again soon).
>
> * We have a bodhi2 backend up in staging and it's successfully mashed
>   updates pushes.
>
> * bodhi2 isn't yet packaged in Fedora (it and it's deps are in a
> copr): http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/lmacken/bodhi2/

I didn't think that there had been much testing of the APIs yet. Last I
heard, the API wasn't ready for testing - has that changed?

> So, to get that last bit we need:
>
> * API users. I thought we had a list somewhere, but I cannot seem to
>   find it. At least fedora-easy-karma and fedora-gooey-karma use it.
>   Are all of these using python-fedora for the api? Do we need to
>   update that and bodhi-client?

libtaskotron, resultsdb and blockerbugs use the Bodhi API through
python-fedora. None of them have been tested against bodhi2.

> * We need bodhi2 in fedora/epel. Were we going to do it as a seperate
>   package, or just an update to the existing 'bodhi' package. I assume
>   maintainers would need the new client to do 'fedpkg update' ?
>
> * Do we need any fedpkg changes? Or anything else? How do we want to
>   handle the switchover?
>
> * Is taskotron all ready to go with bodhi2? or more changes there?

Not really. Preparing for bodhi2 has been on the back burner for us
since it didn't sound like production was going to be ready before F23
was released.

I'll try to take a look into what's left but the guy who has been doing
most of that work is on PTO until Flock.

> * We will need an outage to switch over. I assume the bodhi1->bodhi2
> db conversion shouldn't take too long? But once we convert and make
> live we are commmited.
>
> * Anything else I missed?
>
> I'd like to propose we schedule the switchover/outage for 2015-08-19.
> (Provided alpha doesn't slip). This will allow us a few days to
> recover from flock and get anything lined up we need to.

How heavily has bodhi2 been tested by folks who aren't bodhi2
developers?  The idea of swapping out bodhi mid-release makes me a
little nervous since hiccups could affect the release process.

I realize there are ~3 weeks between the proposed date and F23 beta
freeze and that there are going to be bumps in the road no matter
when the switchover happens. However, the tester in me is thinking
more along the lines of what might go wrong in the near future if the
more corner-casey stuff (freeze etc.) is hit so soon after deployment,
especially if there's a bug that's taken down the frontend for at least
a couple hours in addition to needing a database wipe/repopulate 2
weeks before the proposed go-live date.

Tim