Fedora identity plans

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 16:16:03 UTC 2015

On 01/08/2015 08:51 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Hi Infra folks,
>
> I wanted to introduce Dmitri Pal, who manages the team at Red Hat that
> works on freeIPA[1] and SSSD[2] among other things.  Patrick of course
> contributes to Ipsilon[3] which includes fedoauth, and has been
> collaborating with Simo, who's on Dmitri's team.
>
> Dmitri asked me about Fedora identity and authentication needs and
> whether any of these projects could be useful in Fedora
> infrastructure.  I told him I'd make an introduction so the
> Infrastructure team can explain the problems we're trying to solve
> with the next Fedora Account System, and how that relates to work
> Dmitri's team is doing.
>
> Dmitri, most if not all of the Fedora Engineering team[4] are on this
> list, along with many other contributors to the Fedora community.
>
> Since some of us (Patrick, Pierre, myself) will be in Brno for the
> DevConf.cz event, we may have the opportunity to meet up there to
> follow up on this discussion in person, but this is a good place to
> start.
>
> Please keep <dpal at redhat.com> on CC for the discussion, since he may
> not follow this list daily.
>
> * * *
> [1] http://www.freeipa.org/
> [2] https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/
> [3] https://fedorahosted.org/ipsilon/

Hello,

Thank you very much for this introduction.
We have been developing IPA/SSSD and now Ipsilon with Fedora needs in mind.
We already have seen some communities expressing interest and/or
actually deploying FreeIPA as a foundation of the user authentication
and management.
So we would love to hear your feedback. Even if FreeIPA is not going to
be used the reasons why it would be rejected would be the great
opportunity for us to understand what functionality is missing and close
the gap in future releases.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal