Great Infrastructure projects status roundup

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 19:07:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 09:01:52AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> 9. FMN
>
> ralph was working on this.
>
> We were planning on moving everything to FMN at some point. Where are
> we in that. Do we want to set a deadline?

I'm getting a new release ready now with lots of bugfixes, new rules
you can build filters from, and a much better set of defaults.  I
thought I'd have it out today but got side-tracked on one last
optimization.  It should be out next week.

Once that release is in place we should use it and test it for a few
days to make sure everything is working as expected.

Next step after that is to carry out the steps to move the packager
group from opt-in to opt-out (i.e., we need to automatically subscribe
all packagers and then send out an announcement).

Later, after that, we can start turning off the built-in notifications
from other services.  pkgdb2 (iirc) does its own notifications, but it
has a config switch to disable that.  bodhi2 (iirc) is expecting fmn
to be ready -- it doesn't have its own notifications.

> 10. Anytia / release-monitoring.org
>
> pingou was working on this
>
> Are we close to switching this on and announcing it? Whats left?

Release-monitoring.org is chugging along and doing its thing.  The
component that files bugs on Fedora packages when there are upstream
releases is the only thing left that needs some work.  It is running
happily in staging.  We thought it was "done" until we were discussing
the cutover in #fedora-apps this week and discovered that there's one
relatively major feature that needs needs to be implemented:  Namely,
mass-subscription of package groups.

In the existing Upstream_Release_Monitoring system (cnucnu), packages
that match certain patterns like ghc-*, drupal-*, rubygem-*, etc.. are
all automatically monitored.  To get that same functionality in the
new system, we need to take care of these three things:

- Add some code to the new release monitoring backend (dubbed
  'the-new-hotness') that listens for when new packages are added to
  the pkgdb and in response adds their upstream pointer to
  release-monitoring.org with the appropriate regexes, if they're not
  already there.  If they are already there, then they need to be
  "mapped" to their new downstream Fedora package.
- release-monitoring.org, while functional, doesn't have quite the API
  to handle that.. at least, there might still be some implementing to
  do.
- (lastly, pkgdb2 should default new packages' monitor flag to True).

I plan to work on these, but I'm keeping it on the back burner
until the FMN stuff mentioned above is all done.  I expect them both
to be ready and in place before the F22 Alpha freeze (Feb. 24th).  (As
always, if anyone wants to jump on these before I get to them, please
do.  Better to have it done sooner.)