Fedora hosted planning

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 3 20:22:37 UTC 2015

Greetings.

So, looking at fedorahosted, I thought I would start some discussion
about where we are and where we need to go short and longer term.

Right now hosted03/04 are rhel6 and still in puppet. Short term, I
would very much like to move them to ansible, and ideally to rhel7.

I looked into the trac situation upstream. We are currently using
0.12.5 long term release on rhel6 (from epel6). There's a 0.12.6 thats
out, but it looks like that might be the last release in the 0.12
series (or there might be a 0.12.7, but thats likely to be it). They
are looking at doing releases yearly if they can manage, so 1.2 would
appear later this year, then 1.3, etc. It's not clear how long 1.0 will
be supported really. At least a year, but not clear after that.

So, as I see it, our options are:

1 Just move to ansible, leave on rhel6 for now until we decide
  something better.

2 Move to ansible and rhel7, and build out trac-1.0 and plugins in
  epel7. This will take a bit longer since there's so many plugins, but
  shouldn't really be that hard.

3 Move to ansible and rhel7 and progit. I'm not sure if progit is ready
  to replace trac though. I think it might need wiki features and also
  more ticket handling stuff, since some of our projects use trac
  ticketing heavily.

4 a combo of 2 and 3 (ie, offer trac and progit both)

5. a combo of 1 and 3 (ie, old trac projects stay on old hosted, we
move ones that want to progit, eventually we have a flag day and move
the rest).

6. Some other brilliant plan. ;)

Thoughts? ideas? will also add this to the gobby doc to discuss in
meeting.