Questions about ask.fp.o

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 21:01:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 06:28:05PM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 11:58 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I wasn't sure where else to ask these questions, so please feel free
> > to refer me to a better venue! :-)
> >
> > * I found a 500 Server Error when I tried to leave feedback through
> >   the feedback link:
> >
> >   https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/feedback/?next=/en/questions/
> >
> >   Who is actively involved in administering the site, so I can refer
> >   this issue correctly?
>
> We know about this one. We're still not sure what's causing it. I've had
> a couple of people e-mail me directly, which is fine. Community members
> that run into issues generally open a fedora-infra trac ticket.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/4187

That's fine, but how does someone not familiar with ask.fp.o know to
do that?  Why not change the link and investigate the problem in the
background?

> > * I don't visit the site very often.  When I signed in today, I found
> >   over 10,000 posts in the moderation queue.  Since I visited to find
> >   out status on a specific post the OP asked me about, and had to
> >   approve his question through, I'm worried all these posts represent
> >   questions blocked on moderator action.  Am I correct about this or
> >   not?
>
> The moderation queue in the version we're using is quite badly designed
> - it's an upstream issue - that's how askbot is. All those posts aren't
> actually waiting for moderation - even if a mod approves a post, it
> still seems to show up in another mod's moderation queue :(

OK, I understand.  What should I do about the 10,000+ items in my
queue?

> We informed upstream about this and they've apparently rewritten the
> moderation part and made a new release. None of us have managed to find
> the cycles to update the package and test it out in staging so that we
> can update the production instance. It's high time I looked into it,
> though - it's been on my todo list for quite a while.

I'm happy you are looking into it, and I see from your other post
there is an updated package.

However, this raises a potential issue about future maintenance.  It
appears the site gets quite a bit of visitors and use.  What's the
plan to find cycles for the maintenance required for such a service?

> > * No moderators or admins are camped in the #fedora-ask channel, which
> >   is referred to here as the canonical channel for help:
> >
> >   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ask_fedora?rd=AskFedora
> >
> >   Is there a different channel or help venue that should be noted
> >   there?
>
> I should be in there pretty much 24x7, so would randomuser. We don't
> speak much in the channel - it's more to monitor the fedmsg logs. :)

I humbly retract this last bullet. :-) It turns out I was on the wrong
IRC network and failed to read properly.  I see three bots, and five
people in there right now counting me.  Sorry for my mistake!