Questions about ask.fp.o

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Mar 11 21:27:58 UTC 2015

On Mar 11, 2015 3:01 PM, "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 06:28:05PM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 11:58 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > I wasn't sure where else to ask these questions, so please feel free
> > > to refer me to a better venue! :-)
> > >
> > > * I found a 500 Server Error when I tried to leave feedback through
> > >   the feedback link:
> > >
> > >   https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/feedback/?next=/en/questions/
> > >
> > >   Who is actively involved in administering the site, so I can refer
> > >   this issue correctly?
> >
> > We know about this one. We're still not sure what's causing it. I've had
> > a couple of people e-mail me directly, which is fine. Community members
> > that run into issues generally open a fedora-infra trac ticket.
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/4187
>
> That's fine, but how does someone not familiar with ask.fp.o know to
> do that?  Why not change the link and investigate the problem in the
> background?

We should definitely fix this, and probably add more signal to the
feedback/help section.  Many site moderators (as defined by contribution
karma) don't idle in #fedora-ask - mostly just admins like myself or Ankur
and a few others.  I would rate this a lower priority than the askbot
upgrade, though.

> > > * I don't visit the site very often.  When I signed in today, I found
> > >   over 10,000 posts in the moderation queue.  Since I visited to find
> > >   out status on a specific post the OP asked me about, and had to
> > >   approve his question through, I'm worried all these posts represent
> > >   questions blocked on moderator action.  Am I correct about this or
> > >   not?
> >
> > The moderation queue in the version we're using is quite badly designed
> > - it's an upstream issue - that's how askbot is. All those posts aren't
> > actually waiting for moderation - even if a mod approves a post, it
> > still seems to show up in another mod's moderation queue :(
>
> OK, I understand.  What should I do about the 10,000+ items in my
> queue?

Skim over the most recent ones for obvious dupes and offensive or harmful
posts.  Once you hit one that's already been approved or deleted (this is
where I check the fedmsg links), it's fairly safe to assume all subsequent
posts have been moderated.  Askbot moderation means that each post must be
moderated by each moderator; there is no shared moderation queue.  However,
anything you do to an already moderated post has no additional affect.
Bonus, askbot defines new users as "watched users" and the can be
administratively changed to "approved users" - which has no noticeable
effect.  We're really hoping the new version works better.

> > We informed upstream about this and they've apparently rewritten the
> > moderation part and made a new release. None of us have managed to find
> > the cycles to update the package and test it out in staging so that we
> > can update the production instance. It's high time I looked into it,
> > though - it's been on my todo list for quite a while.
>
> I'm happy you are looking into it, and I see from your other post
> there is an updated package.
>
> However, this raises a potential issue about future maintenance.  It
> appears the site gets quite a bit of visitors and use.  What's the
> plan to find cycles for the maintenance required for such a service?

I found cycles to update the package and test locally, but haven't found
time to test in staging yet.  maybe this weekend, if I can work it in with
the other Fedora commitments I've made.  As for a plan... well, I keep
adding to my reading list when you drop quotes, Paul, the secret has to be
in there somewhere :)  Joking aside, when the work required exceeds the
available volunteer manhours, the plan is a best-effort endeavor and good
communication.  We can probably improve on the second part.

> > > * No moderators or admins are camped in the #fedora-ask channel, which
> > >   is referred to here as the canonical channel for help:
> > >
> > >   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ask_fedora?rd=AskFedora
> > >
> > >   Is there a different channel or help venue that should be noted
> > >   there?
> >
> > I should be in there pretty much 24x7, so would randomuser. We don't
> > speak much in the channel - it's more to monitor the fedmsg logs. :)
>
> I humbly retract this last bullet. :-) It turns out I was on the wrong
> IRC network and failed to read properly.  I see three bots, and five
> people in there right now counting me.  Sorry for my mistake!
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields

--Pete