Prototyping Fedora widgets framework

Ratnadeep Debnath rtnpro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 10:19:29 UTC 2015

Hi all,

As discussed over IRC, I am working on prototyping a framework to
power generic widgets for Fedora. This framework will allow writing
widgets for Fedora in Python, mostly.

Basic components
==============
Dispatcher
----------------
Dispatcher is part of a daemon process which keeps on listening to
fedmsg messages and invoking widgets to save data as needed. Widgets
can be tied to the dispatcher using signals, observer patterns, etc.

Widget
----------
I define a widget implementation as a standalone entity which knows:
1. How to handle raw fedmsg data, format it and save it for enabling
faster query
2. Render data from saved data.

API
------
Provide REST interface to fetch data from a widget for a particular
entity, say, badges info for a user for UserBadgesWidget.

I have started working on a prototype based on the Observer design
pattern here[1].

Please provide your feedback on the same. I am also thinking to work
on a prototype based on signals, to see which prototype allows us to
expose friendly interfaces for writing widgets.

[1]: https://github.com/rtnpro/fedwidgets/blob/master/fedwidgets/prototypes/observer_pattern.py

Regards,
rtnpro
--