Announcement: Replacing old rbac-playbook with ansible_utils

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 17:40:21 UTC 2015

While the rbac-playbook script helps people run playbooks, it's missing
some significant features that make ansible much easier to use. We're
replacing the old rbac-playbook script with a new piece of code that
does the same role-based access control but has some new features.

The usage of rbac-playbook will be pretty much the same as it has been
with some new options which should make make life easier. The old
script will be replaced with ansible_utils later today.

Tags:
  the '-t <tagname>' option will run only the parts of a playbook which
  are tagged with that <tagname> which allows single sections of a
  playbook to be run instead of running through everything, every time

Limit Targets:
  the '-l <inventory name>' option will run a playbook but exclude all
  targets that don't match <inventory name>. This is very useful when
  you want to run a playbook without targeting all the hosts it was
  designed for

Start At Task:
  the '--start-at-task <task name>' option runs the entire playbook but
  skips all tasks before <task name> which is useful when re-running a
  longer playbook to correct a failure.

The new script is part of the ansible_utils package which can be found
at https://bitbucket.org/tflink/ansible_utils

If you find any issues, please let me know or file an issue in the
bitbucket project.

Tim