Questions about ask.fp.o

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Mar 29 14:45:40 UTC 2015

Just to note here:

Friday we updated askbot to the latest version. It wasn't really
scheduled, which was my fault (I was applying updates, and accidentally
applied the new version to our instances, so we decided we should just
get the upgrade done before the freeze next week).

I'd like to appologize to all the sysadmin-ask members that got
thousands of emails while we fixed issues. :( The emails now should
really be few and far between and rare.

Many things are better now I think:

* Moderation actually works MUCH MUCH better. All new users are
  moderated, but then if any moderator approves them they are free to
  post and all other moderators don't see them in their queue anymore.
  Also, there's a easy 'spammer' button to disapprove someone and all
  their posts and mark them as a blocked user.

* At least to me, the interface seems much faster and more responsive.

* We cleaned the session table out which had a LOT of expired sessions
  in it. You can see from our last 3 days of db dumps:

-rw-r--r--. 1 postgres postgres 306M Mar 29 00:22 askfedora-2015-03-29.dump.xz
-rw-r--r--. 1 postgres postgres 554M Mar 28 00:38 askfedora-2015-03-28.dump.xz
-rw-r--r--. 1 postgres postgres 4.0G Mar 27 04:02 askfedora-2015-03-27.dump.xz

* Patrick added a trigger to clean old sessions when it added new, so
  this problem shouldn't re-occur. :) See the information in the ask
  SOP in infra-docs.

* I cleaned up a bunch of tags that had #marks in them. They are now
  disallowed from being created, but there were some we had from times
  past. This was also the cause of a bunch of the emails sysadmin-ask
  was getting. ;( There are still a handfull of tags with # in them,
  but they have no posts and are in a weird state not causing problems
  at least.

There are a few issues still however:

* Tweet all your activity still doesn't work. Not sure why, we need to
  investigate more. ;(

* feedback link now seems to just go no where. There's no error, but
  the feedback never arrives anywhere. Feedback does seem to work in
  staging, so we need to figure out whats different there and fix it.

* We still need to get and apply a nice Fedora askbot theme. Ideally we
  could also make sure the flags display is gone in that new theme.

Anyhow, enjoy.