Dist Git for Copr

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed May 6 19:08:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, 6 May 2015 06:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
Adam Samalik <asamalik at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to make a proposal and start a discussion about Dist Git
> for Copr.

Sounds good. We had some discussion in tickets, but here is likely a
better place anyhow. ;)

> At the moment, Copr can build packages only from source rpms, which
> has been uploaded in advance somewhere in the internet - so if you
> want to build something, you need your own file server. As people
> often delete the sources from their server after the build process,
> the builds are no longer easily reproducible. And there is also no
> history of the sources.

Yeah.

...snip...

> There has been some unfinished discussion on
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/4564
>
> The main purpouse of this is having a storage for sources,
> reproducible builds and history of sources. Eventualy, we can extend
> it with bug tracking, easy forking and merging and the other
> "Git-Hub-like" stuff.

How about a short term and a longer term plan?

Short term: have copr download and store the src.rpm from build urls.
This would at least make things reproducable and at least someone could
download the src.rpm and send a patch. Along with this a easy way to
mail the owner of a copr would be good.

Longer term: use pagure. Have people setup their project there and work
with pagure folks to integrate copr. We could have an easy 'build this
in copr' type thing and on the copr side a 'visit this project on
pagure'.

I think trying to do a standalone dist-get will just cause problems
when/if we want to move to something like pagure and has a lot of
issues without building up a bunch of infrastructure around it.

Just my thoughts on it...