Update on Statscache and Fedora releng dash

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Mon May 11 20:16:21 UTC 2015

Hi Ratnadeep,

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 02:04:13AM +0530, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> I have made quite some changes to statscache[1] and
> statscache_plugins[2] to empower a faster prototype of releng dash[3],
> currently working with only the AMIs plugin.
>
> I have come up with a layout spec for releng plugin[4] to generate the
> UI dynamically with minimum client side code, same code working for
> all widgets in the dashboard.
>
> How to test the changes:
> 1. cd into statscache_plugins/statscahe_plugins, and run 'python -m
> unittest tests.releng' to seed initial data for AMIs plugin.
> 2. cd into statscache/ dir and run the flask server: python statscache/app.py
> 3. cd into fedora-releng-dash repo dir, and checkout to branch
> 'statscache', and open index.html in browser.
>
> You should see the AMI widgets in the page.

I got it working locally without much trouble.  It is really snappy!
I played a bit more with handlebars.js too, to get a feel for it and
I'm pretty sure I understand your implementation now.  It looks good
to me!

You took care of the display of AMIs but you asked me to look at
implementing some specific missing parts the other day.  Can you
remind me what those were?  I didn't write it down and I don't want to
accidentally duplicate something you're working on at the same time.

> Also, I think, we need to find a better way to pass the 'frequency'
> param to instantiate models and plugins.

I'm open to changing it, but I don't quite see what's limiting about
it at present (perhaps we could associated the ``make_model()``
callable with the ``BasePlugin`` class for starters?)

> Also, the data fetching part could be moved to the plugins to allow
> plugin level optimizations, if needed.

I'd be fine with this.  As long as we can let a core plugin component
do most of the work of retrieving data, that's fine with me.  That
way, most plugins won't have to duplicate the work of querying simple
series of numbers (volume, variance, etc..)

-Ralph